Gambia Immigration Department is the body entrusted with the responsibility to issue residence and work permits to foreigners intending to reside and work in the Gambia whether for gainful employment or voluntary service.

Apart from persons possessing “special Immigration Status” all other immigrants require a residential and work permit in order to reside or work in The Gambia.

Section 10 (1) of the Immigration Act empowers the Director General of Immigration to grant a residential or work permit to any person once satisfied with the application for such permit.

The various types of residential and work permits that can be obtained from the immigration department are as follows;

Residence Permit `A`- Issued for residence only. (students and retired pensioners)


  1. Applicant must prove sufficient means of support to stay in the Gambia
  2. That he/she is of good character.

Residential Permit `B`- (Non ECOWAS) Issued for both residence and employment.


  1. Applicant must be a skilled expatriate worker in the executive, managerial and middle management position in accordance with the directives and instructions given from time to time through the Quota Allocation Board specifying Government's Immigration Policy.
  2. Applicant must be a skilled expatriate exclusive of the above category or a self-employed business owner.
  3. Applicant must be in possession of a valid Alien card and the fee attached is D1500.00 and the form D100.00
  4.  Fee attached for residence permit B (Non ECOWAS) is D2500.00 and D100.00 for the form.

Residence Permit B- ECOWAS


     This is for skilled and unskilled west African nationals engage in either managerial or petty trading.

      FEE attached is D1500 and the form D100.00


  • Authentic application form must be completed with particulars of applicant
  • Formal letter from the employer/sponsor accepting immigration responsibility on behalf of the applicant.
  • Copies of National Passport, National identity card or councilor card.
  • Curriculum Vitae and names and addresses of references from whom the Curriculum Vitae can be verified (Expatriate only).
  • Two identical Passport size photos (recent) of the applicant
  • Copy of a valid Alien card for Non-ECOWAS.


  • Payment of the appropriate permit fees is made as soon as the Director General of Immigration approves the application.
  • Validity of a residence permit is one calendar year (1st January to 31st January of the following year) and fees remain the same no matter the period or number of months it takes the permit to expire.
  • Dependents of a holder of any residential permit shall be shall be included in the permit ( this includes house wife and children under 18 years)  




Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer